Friday 5 June 2009

ZMA or not..

I thought I'd just Google Scholar search for research done on ZMA as it's one of the supplements I pay for. Basically, is it worth my money?

First impression. You make gains 95% from putting in the hard work!. I am gaining weight and having improved hormone levels mainly from my workouts, not a magic pill. But still, is it worth spending the extra on a all-in-one powder with ZMA and creatine inside?

First look.. ZMA

Brilla and Conte (2000) ran a positive research test on off season footballers that showed T and IGF-I levels increasing in the off season compared to the control group having a mild reduction in levels. Another paper had no perceptible increases in hormone or body composition. Parvin et al (1995) tested zinc on strength levels over 8 weeks on women and did not find any significant improvements.

One positive research paper doesn't prove the subject especially when there was only really one other comparable paper that had no significant results. Does it improve sleep? Maybe.. again hard to confirm.

So should I buy it? At about £10 a month, no. But if it comes as part of an all-in-one powder then its an awful lot cheaper, why not?

No comments: